Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Who's got the beat?!

Well, I've got the beat, but then you already knew that. Who believes it's been 25 years since the most successful all-girl rock band released their seminal work??! I remember first seeing them in concert 25 years ago....a sophomore at Florida State. We stood in line for days....God I miss those days of standing in line for front row seats. We got 3rd row seats, front and center. The Flock of Seagulls opened for them....another major treat. I had such a crush on Belinda Carlisle. I went with a bunch of frat brothers and as it turns out, one of the guys had heard that she was affiliated with our fraternity chapter at UCLA and brought one of our baseball caps with a note on the bill saying, "Delts Love the Go-Go's." He threw it on stage....she recognized it, wore it for a song or two and threw it back to us. Now how fucking cool is that??!!

Fast forward 25 years....I am at the Greek Theatre in Hell-A for the 25th anniversary of the release of "Beauty and the Beat." Not exactly the same seating as the first time I saw them, but what a great venue for a show....smaller and more intimate that the Bowl, but that same very cool vibe. They come out on stage and announce that in commemoration of the aforementioned anniversary, they would perform the entire album that evening!! What??!! The entire album??!! Needless to say, the crowd went apeshit. I was immediately hurled back to 1981....doing that crazy bounce-kick dance that was so popular with the kids back then. They proceeded to do other big hits, "Head Over Heels" (remember the clap?) and Vacation (always reminded me of Cypress Gardens). It was an unreal evening and the memory is still putting a big smile on my face.

I hope this memory puts a big smile on your face, too.

No comments: