Thursday, December 18, 2008

"We Can't Elope!!"

Okay, I am loving Kath & Kim on the NBC television network. Now, rest assured, I've seen every episode of the original Kath & Kim out of Australia....I thought no US version could ever hold up. [Buzzer] Wrong! This is a very funny show that has really grown on me since the pilot. The characters are adaptations of the originals but equally as quirky. Molly Shannon and John Michael Higgins are fantastic in their roles as Kath and Phil. Selma Blair has the attitude of the original Kim, but definitely not the body (no offense to the original Kim, Gina Riley). The rest of the characters are effective although somewhat annoying at times...."Dude."

Clearly, there are precedents in this movement of American-izing successful international programming....The Office comes to mind. It seems, lately anyway, that these re-visions are more true to the original style and tenor of their predecessors. That's a wordy way of saying they're just as funny and engaging. I hope these well-cast, well-scripted shows can hang on for some time to come. Now I loves me some reality TV (you know, Top Chef, Project Runway, etc., etc.) but I truly enjoy good quality network television. The definition of "network" television has definitely evolved over the past several years. I honestly don't care what network is carrying the good stuff....I just like the good stuff! Kath & Kim is great stuff.

Oh, and for reference, the subject line is a quote from the 4th episode, "Money". Kath is making a fruit salad when Kim suggests that Kath and Phil should elope. Kath turns around holding half a cantaloupe and utters the above-mentioned hysterical line. Cheesy, maybe....funny, yes!

2 comments:

Erica Orloff said...

Holy Crap, Batman . . . you're blogging regularly!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
xo
E
P.S. We need to go out for Cosmos. Did I tell you Sam Raimi is looking at one of my books? If he buys it (!!), I will come to L.A. and we can celebrate.

gonoles84 said...

Dahl!! You did not mention that. Please keep me posted so I can make sure the schedule is open.

Yes, I am making a concerted effort to keep this thing a little more current. So far, so good.

xoxoxo
Chris