Thursday, December 25, 2008

Purrrrr-fectly brilliant!

Today we've lost an icon....Eartha Kitt passed away today at 81. She succumbed to colon cancer. As I'm sure you can all predict, my first introduction to Ms. Kitt was as the Catwoman on the mid-60s TV series, "Batman." I thought she was amazing....I was only 6 or 7 years old but I certainly knew a diva when I saw one!

As with most of the legends that are leaving us these days, she had quite a story....she was a mixed-race child back in the days when that wasn't so cool. Growing up in South Carolina couldn't have made that any easier. After getting her start as a dancer-singer, she became known as an international symbol of elegance and sensuality. She was a multi-Emmy winner and was also a Tony and Grammy award nominee. According to an obituary she was a self-proclaimed "sex kitten" because of her signature "prrrrrrrrrr." I don't know about the whole "self-proclaimed" part....I would guess that some ambitious Hollywood reporter coined the phrase and it simply took on a life of its own.

Regardless, time passes and so do the most influencial people of our lifetime. I can't imagine what she might say as she arrives at the purrrrr-ly gates.

1 comment:

Erica Orloff said...

I thought of you when I heard the news. She was priceless and purr-fect.

Hope you had a nice Christmas.

xo
E