Wednesday, August 02, 2006

A fine champagne-YA

Those who know me, know that I am a major product of the TV generation. I used to make my Mom and Grandmother crazy when I'd sing the jingles to my favorite TV commercials! I love to tell the story of how each of my kids' names are inspired by old TV characters (maybe I'll go into that in another post). So, you get the drift. There are two long-lasting fixtures of TV that tend to define my lust for good quality television....Days of Our Lives and Saturday Night Live. Yeah, I know, a soap opera....you have to realize, though, that I grew up with DOOL. When I was a small tike, my Mom would watch DOOL religiously and I started doing the same thing when I got older....geez, I even scheduled my classes in college around it! As far as SNL goes, well, when I was younger it was an opportunity to stay up late and watch something fun. I came and went through it's various ups and downs in the 80's but then along came Phil Hartman, Dana Carvey, Julia Sweeney, Jon Lovitz, et al., and I wouldn't miss an episode! Okay, I bet you're trying to figure out the blog title and it's connection to these two stalwarts of my TV viewing habits.

One of my favorite SNL characters is "The Continental" portrayed brilliantly by Christopher Walken. He is a member of the elite "Five-timers Club"....those who have hosted the show five times or more. Between the hysterical dialogue and the camera angle from the mysterious red-silk gloved hand, I don't know what is funnier....he keeps making lewd and lascivious advances and "she" keeps making a beeline for the door! One of his trademark lines is when he offers her a glass of fine champagne. He doesn't pronounce it like you and I do....it comes out like the title....champagne-ya. Needless to say, it has entered the lexicon of my vocabulary ever since....it's just funny stuff!

"After a word from our sponsor we'll return for the second half of Days of Our Lives."

Okay, you're still asking, "what does this have to do with DOOL??!" Among their current storylines is the twisted web of love that encompasses Sami, Austin, Carrie and Lucas....Sami and Austin are engaged to be married and Carrie and Lucas just got married. Problem is Carrie is really in love with Austin and Sami connived to keep the two of them apart. Never mind that Sami was engaged to Lucas and their wedding was cut short by Sami's unraveling litany of lies. Enough of that....anyway, Austin is convinced that Sami is going to be his wife, so he puts together a dinner party on the roof of their condo. It's a lovely catered affair right down to the decadent dessert. As Austin prepares to greet Sami and his guests, he says, "Let's open a bottle of fine champagne-YA."

LOVED IT!!!

I about split a gut!! You know there are the obvious taglines from shows like SNL...."Well, isn't that special!"...."Yeah, that's the ticket!"....etc., etc. But to refer to such an obscure "punchline" as that just made me laugh mightily.

And it's a good thing, because I haven't been terribly inspired as of late with regards to my blogging activities. I should have known the inspiration would come from my two favorite TV shows and, hence, this post.

2 comments:

Erica Orloff said...

Well, Dahl . . . you are the original pop culture junkie!

Alexa is into Days now . . . and Passions. I never got into soaps except for the Luke and Laura days in high school. Anyway, yesterday, I popped in and she was watching DOOL, and I said, "what's going on?" And she proceeded to launch into this ten-minute-without-a-breath play-by-play of the evil Sami. "Champagne-ya!" indeed.

xo
E

Prevuze said...

OMG! If you like DOOL, you have got to see this. It is the funniest and snarkiest website anywhere

http://prevuze.blogspot.com